New York Yankees vs. New York Mets – 8/2/16 MLB Pick, Odds, and Prediction
New York Yankees vs New York Mets
Game Time: Tuesday August 2nd, 7:10pm EST
MLB Betting Odds: Mets -125, O/U 6.5
Pick and Prediction provided by Oddsboard.com
New York Yankees
Starting Pitcher: Masahiro Tanaka (7-3, 3.16 ERA)
The Yankees took game 1 of this subway series, winning 6-5. The Yankees put together a late rally scoring 2 runs in the 8th inning to tie the game and pushing it to extra innings. Starlin Castro’s sacrifice fly in the top of the 10th inning gave the Yankees a wild 6-5 victory.
The Yankees look to continue to play spoiler as they face off against Jacob deGrom and the Mets on Tuesday. Getting the ball for the Yankees is Masahiro Tanaka. Tanaka took the loss in his last start, which came Wednesdayagainst Houston. He allowed four runs on seven hits with two walks and four strikeouts over five innings. Tanaka makes his third start against the Mets in his career here. He is 1-1 with a 1.20 ERA and a 0.60 WHIP over 15 innings in those outings.
The Yanks have shipped out Aroldis Chapman, Andrew Miller, Carlos Beltran, and Ivan Nova. This sends a clear message they are looking towards the future, not a typically Yankees decision at the trade deadline. The Yankees will miss Beltran’s bat considering he lead the team with a .304 BA, .546 SLG, 109 hits, 22 HR’s and 64 RBI’s. That is a lot of offense the Yankees shipped away and now they face the young, hard throwing Jacob deGrom.
New York Mets
Starting Pitcher: Jacob deGrom (6-5, 2.56 ERA)
The Mets have struggled on offense this season and they have some work to do in order to make it back into the Playoffs. They made a move on Monday in a trade to acquire Jay Bruce from the Reds. Bruce will give this team some power on offense and perhaps re-motivate this team to perform.
Jacob deGrom is on the mound for the 19th time this year for the Mets. He brings a 6-5 record with a 2.56 ERA and a 1.083 WHIP with 109 strikeouts in 112.2 innings. Run support continues to be a problem when deGrom pitches.
This is deGrom’s third career start against the Yankees and he is 0-2 with a 5.25 ERA. deGrom certainly is happy not see Beltran in the batters box Tuesday night.
Yankees vs Mets Prediction
New York Yankees Betting Trends:
- Yankees are 7-1 in their last 8 vs. National League East.
- Yankees are 5-1 in their last 6 road games vs. a team with a winning record
- Yankees are 8-3 in their last 11 interleague road games vs. a right-handed starter
- Yankees are 1-4 in their last 5 road games.
- Yankees are 1-4 in their last 5 overall
- Yankees are 2-5 in Tanakas last 7 road starts vs. a team with a winning record
New York Mets Betting Trends
- Mets are 6-2 in their last 8 interleague games vs. a team with a winning record
- Mets are 7-3 in their last 10 games following a loss
- Mets are 8-2 in deGroms last 10 starts when their opponent allows 5 runs or more in their previous game.
- Mets are 9-3 in deGroms last 12 home starts vs. a team with a winning record.
- Mets are 21-10 in deGroms last 31 home starts
It’s hard to account for team morale after the trade deadline. The Yankees traded some of their top players due to their team underperforming so far this season. The Mets made a minor trade picking up Jay Bruce but it may pay big dividends and add some respectable power to their lineup. With deGrom on the mound the Mets will get the much needed win under these circumstances and look towards making a playoff push.
Yankees vs Mets prediction: New York Mets -130
Free pick provided by Jimmy Lawrence of Oddsboard.com